blob: f6724e21729c45c141918593b827de4bcdd28aef (plain
title: The GNU Assembly — Software for human empowerment
Welcome to the GNU Assembly! Wondering what this is? Here are the
- Gathering under a New Umbrella —
maintainers and contributors of well-known free software projects
are making this place our new home, fighting for the freedom of
computer users and hacking the good hack.
- Governance, Not Unilateralism — This new home is governed by those
who build it [following common goals and sharing the same
is where we openly and respectfully discuss day-to-day operation and
the general direction of our umbrella project.
- This Group’s Not Uniform — We have common goals but also different
backgrounds, and we view it as a strength. Our interactions in this
project are subject to its [code of
- GNU’s Novelty is Unequaled — We contribute to projects that go back
to the roots of [free software](/en/documents/free-software), some
of us even know what “CVS” means. These projects and newer ones are
leading in their own domain and we plan to keep it that way.
- GNU Needs U! — It’s about building a software commons to empower
computer users. We need you — as a user, developer, speaker,
coordinator, translator, system administrator: if you share [our
goals](https://wiki.gnu.tools/gnu:social-contract), bring your own
“GNU” as in “new” — join us now!